WWE Smackdown Live Event (Fort Wayne, Ind.)
Report by Sean Kaleta and ProWrestling.net
The show was sold out. There were easily 4,000 to 5,000 people are in attendance. The obligatory “WWE will take your cameras if you film us” announcement played as Tony Chimel enters the ring to introduce the first match.
1. Chris Masters defeated Jack Swagger. Masters entered to a huge pop, Swagger of course received boos for what seemed like an eternity. The match was slow moving and the crowd was not into it. Masters failed on three Masterlock attempts before Swagger got off the gut wrench powerbomb. Swagger played to the crowd as Masters recovered and secured the Masterlock for the win.
Cody Rhodes came out with his face shield and Mysterio’s mask to a mixed bag of boos and chants of “619.” Cody talked about the meaning of justice and how Rey is seeing how justice is handed down. Rey Mysterio charged the ring and the roar of the crowd was deafening. Mysterio talked briefly about his betrayal by Dusty Rhodes and told Cody that he would not get through the night without confronting him. Rey stated that Teddy Long has authorized a tag match between he and Edge vs. Cody and Alberto del Rio.
2. “Showtime” Percy Watson defeated Curt Hawkins. Percy received a great pop and people were wondering who Hawkins was! The match was fast-paced and Watson was amazing! A short match duration with Percy Watkins capturing the win by pin fall after a standing dropkick.
Tony Chimel introduced our guest host for the evening, Kaitlyn from NXT Season 3. She announced a contest for the crowd. She asked a young boy, who appeared to be about 8 or 9, what event is coming up in April. The boy got it right and his prize was to be the guest bell-ringer for the next match. He said he didn’t want to!! Kaitlyn was flabbergasted! She picked another person, who also refused to be the bell-ringer!! Kaitlyn gave up and after a few moments retreated backstage.
3. Chavo Guerrero beat Tyler Reks. The crowd chanted “Chavo” all match long. Tyler worked Chavo over nonstop. Near the end of the match, the fighting was taken to the turnbuckle, resulting in Reks hitting the canvas and Chavo winning the match by pin fall after a Frog Splash.
4. Beth Phoenix beat Layla with Kelly Kelly as special guest referee. Kelly Kelly’s music hit as she entered the ring in referee gear. Layla was next to enter to a room filled with boos. Beth Phoenix entered to a big pop and the action began immediately. Overall, a slow, drawn out match with Beth Phoenix pulling out the win by pin fall after the Glam Slam.
5. Kofi Kingston defeated Kane to retain the Intercontinental Championship. Both entrants came out to big pops. The match was fast paced with Kofi coming out on top at every opportunity. Ref got in the way and was taken out, setting up Kane for the chokeslam but Kofi recovered quickly and leveled Kane to set up the Boom Drop, quickly followed by the Trouble in Paradise as the ref recovered for the 1,2,3,. Kofi retains.
6. Drew McIntyre defeated Trent Barreta. Drew came out and trash-talked Fort Wayne and the USA. The crowd burst into the obligatory “USA” chant. This match was intense! At one point, Drew delivered a kick to Trent’s head and what looked like a tooth came flying out of Trent’s mouth and into the crowd (trying to confirm this via Trent’s Twitter page). These guys were flying all over the ring and outside of it as well. Back in the ring, a suplex by Drew went wrong sending Trent into the corner and getting him twisted up in the ropes. The ref threw the x and the match ended by pinfall by Drew.
Kaitlyn returned to the ring with Hornswoggle at her side to toss shirts and DVD’s to the fans.
7. Big Show defeated Wade Barrett. Wade Barrett and The Corre entered the ring, followed shortly thereafter by the Big Show. Before the bell was rung, Tony Chimel informed us that Teddy Long had banned The Corre from ringside for this match. The Corre went crazy but left anyway. This match almost put me to sleep. Super slow. Big Show won by chokeslam. After the match, the Corre rushed the ring at which point Show grabs a chair and hits all four members. Kofi Kingston ran to the ring to help Show regain order. A horrible match made up for in the end, I guess.
8. Rey Mysterio and Edge defeated Alberto Del Rio and Cody Rhodes. Tons of crowd interaction by Del Rio. He took an Edge sign from a fan and tore it to pieces in the ring. He reiterated how it was his destiny to become champion. He told the fans in the cheap seats that they had no class. Alberto is great on the stick!
Rey was next and posed on all four turnbuckles for photo opps for all the fans. Edge was next and slid into the ring striking a pose on two ring sides. Next, Cody Rhodes. Slow to the ring. A quick turnbuckle pose and the match was on. Cody refused to enter, telling the ref his face was still broken. Edge dragged him in and it was on. The match was at least 20 minutes long. Rey hit the 619 on Del Rio and Edge capitalized as Del Rio stumbled afterwards. Rey and Edge for the win.