Bobby Lashley Confirms Next MMA Fight For Mid-December

Matt Boone


The following is an excerpt from an article on Bobby Lashley’s MMA future from WrestleZone sister-site, Sherdog.com:

“I’m so happy to say I will be fighting again Dec. 10 or 11. I will have all the details within the next few days,” Lashley announced via Twitter on Tuesday morning. The American Top Team fighter didn’t elaborate on which organization he’d be fighting for, but did say in a phone interview that he has multiple offers on the table.

“I have to stay busy after my last fight,” said the 34-year-old Lashley, who is coming off a knockout loss at the hands of Chad Griggs at “Strikeforce: Houston” in August. “This year has been tough with the injuries I’ve had; plus I got mono. I’ve started back with my training and there have been a couple of fights come up that I’ve given a thumbs up to, and I’ve tentatively got a fight scheduled. It’s December 10th or 11th, but I have to wait on saying who it’s with. There’s two different organizations that I’m talking to. I have to get out there and fight. I asked Strikeforce for a rematch (with Griggs), but I’m not sure if it’s in the works.”

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker confirmed that Lashley’s contract with the organization has expired, but that Lashley is currently in a 90-day period where Strikeforce holds exclusive negotiating rights.

“Bobby doesn’t have any fights left on his deal, but we’re talking with him about getting more fights,” said Coker. “We’ve been talking [since after the Griggs fight]. The discussions have been friendly, but we just have to get everyone on the same page when it comes to value. I think there’s a lot of fight left in Bobby. I just think that in this sport, sometimes you have to take a step backward to take two steps forward.”

When Coker was asked about Lashley’s announcement of a potential December fight, he denied knowing anything about it and said that Strikeforce should have the right to approve any potential fights Lashley could engage in.

“I haven’t heard anything about it and we don’t have an event [on Dec. 10-11],” said Coker. “Any kind of an announcement on Bobby’s part might be a bit premature. Bobby can take a fight in a smaller place or another promotion, but I think he’d need to get our approval first. We do let our fighters under contract fight for other organizations, but we have a lot invested in them and should have the right to approve where and when they fight.”

Check out the complete article online today at Sherdog.com.

Have a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report? Submit it now!
monitoring_string = "851cc24eadecaa7a82287c82808f23d0"