WWE Smackdown house show (Newark, Del.)
Report by Rob Schumacher and ProWrestling.net
The Bob Carpenter center holds aboout 5000 people and there were maybe 3,500 there tonight. Very poor turnout.
1. MVP defeated Drew McIntyre in 9:50. The start was slow because MVP spotted a large green sign that read “Drew I have your green card.” MVP pointed it out to Drew and even he chuckled at it. Drew kept leaving the ring to boos but finally beat down on MVP. MVP turned the tide and hit finisher for the win.
Nexus hit the ring. Michael Tarver, Heath Slater, and Justin Gabriel proceeded to beat down MVP. They did some crappy mic work, saying we are Nexus or against them. It sounded like most were against them in Delaware.
2. Alberto Del Rio defeated Chavo Guerrero. Chavo did some Eddie moves and Del Rio ducked out of the ring often to large boos. Good crowd for Chavo. Del Rio survived a frog splash to put submission arm bar on to get the win at 9:20.
3. Dolph Ziggler defeated Kofi Kingston and Cody Rhodes in a Triple Threat to retain the Intercontinental Title. Cody and Dolph get on the mic and said that Kofi should not even be in the match because at least they have titles. They double teamed Kofi until he got some offense in, and Cody bumped Dolph out of the ring. Kofi went for win with Trouble in Paradise, but Doplh hit the Zig Zag for the win at 8:43. After the match, Cody went to shake Kofi’s hand, but Kofi hit another Trouble in Paradise on him as the crowd cheered and chanted for one more.
4. CM Punk defeated Chris Masters. Most entertaining of the night for many reasons. First, Punk got on the mic and got the crowd stirred up by telling us to stop dipping and such. Masters came out and the match started. About one minute in, a fan jumped in and got a shot in on Masters before Charles Robinson chased him off. The kid jumped the barrier and dodged security for a bit before one of Delaware’s finest took him down in some sort of ankle lock as the crowd chanted “Taser.” Classic. As Masters lied on the top rope strutting and such, Punk was outside ring looking kinda shaken. Punk ended up hitting the GTS at 8:52 for the win in a one sided match but was full of entertainment.
5. Mark Henry defeated Jack Swagger. I guess Henry was too big to fly to France with the Raw crew. Back and forth house show action until Swagger beat up on Henry’s knee. Henry sold not being able to lift on some power moves. Henry ended up finally hitting power slam for the clean win on Swagger at 9:40.
There was a dance contest with Hornswoggle and some little kids. It was kinda creepy as he got them to do the lucky charms leap thing.
Intermission so we can go buy $25 tee shirts
6. Melina defeated Layla. Kelly Kelly was the guest ref looking fantastic in a cutoff ref’s outfit. Layla drew good heat by strutting around doing jumping jacks and stretching. Melina won at 6:44, as Layla shoved Kelly, who would not complete three count for Layla. The distraction led to Melina winning with split legged pin thing.
7. Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel (w/Michael Tarver) defeated The Hart Dynasty. Slater and Gabriel controlled the match with Tarver at ringside. Great “Wendy’s” chant for Slater, though. Tarver and Natalya took turns distracting wrestlers. Natalya delivered a great slap on Slater!! The distractions led to Tarver knocking out Smith for the Nexus win at 12:16.
8. Kane defeated Big Show to retain the World Hvt. Championship. Normal big man match, just back and forth in and out of the ring. The crowd was huge for Big Show, who was selling a knee injury most of match, as he took a bump out of the ring. Nine minutes in, the ref was knocked out and CM Punk came out and gave Kane a chair. Kane hit Show with it. Punk woke up the ref to count the 1-2-3 on Show in 10:25
After the show, CM Punk danced around happy with himself. He jumped in the ring with another chair. He went to hit Show with it, but Show knocked it out of his hands and landed a huge punch to end the show.
Have a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report?