According to a source within WWE, Bryan Danielson's release from the company did not raise many backstage eye brows following last week's NXT invasion angle on Raw. According to what I was told, immediately after the incident where Danielson choked ring announcer Justin Roberts occurred, the WWE creative team knew there would be ramifications to Danielson's actions as what he did is not allowed in the company.
I was told that it is well known amongst wrestlers and employees in WWE that blatant choke holds with weapons or the ring ropes are not allowed in WWE, and the reason why is directly because of the events which occurred during the Chris Benoit tragedy.
I was told that Vince McMahon himself called Danielson directly on Friday night and informed him of his WWE release. Immediately after, Stephanie McMahon informed the rest of the WWE employees and talent that Danielson was no longer with the company.
Many online reports are suggesting that Danielson was thrown under the bus, so to speak, with this firing and from what I was told that is generally true. The source I spoke with gave me the impression that Danielson will be re-hired on the "91st day," which is a reference to his 90 day no-compete clause. Of course this is NOT a confirmation that Danielson will indeed be hired back, but the impression I was given is that Danielson's firing was something that WWE had to do to make sure they followed protocol, and not necessarily something that WWE wanted to do.