The following is an excerpt from the latest online blog of TNA’s Eric Bischoff:
Who You Gonna Listen To?
I have enjoyed reading many of the comments that have been posted over the last couple of weeks on my Facebook page as well as many Internet sites.
The comments and observations ranged from interesting and constructive criticism of both TNA and WWE, to the juvenile ramblings of those who must derive some kind of sad validation and perverted self-worth by watching the reaction that their profanity laced diatribes generate.
As usual, some of the self proclaimed experts who portray themselves as the representatives of the collective consciousness of millions of fans who watch wrestling around the world, jumped on my comments and posted them on their own sites complete with commentary that would suggest that they know how I think, who I listen to with respect to the direction of the product, my role within TNA etc.
And as usual, they were wrong.
While I can’t possibly answer all the questions that come to my Facebook page, or am I willing to respond to the assertions of these digital Svengali wannabes, I thought I might address some of the broader questions and recent statements:
1. I DO differentiate between the IWC (Internet Wrestling Community) and the Internet in general as well as social networks like Twitter, Facebook etc. Clearly there is a duplication of IWC readers and members of my Facebook page given the nature of my role in the industry and the frequent references of my Facebook page on many of the IWC sites.
2. I DO NOT use or am influenced professionally by what I read on my Facebook or Twitter Page. I do enjoy reading (some of) the comments and do encourage constructive criticism and exchange by fans in hopes of developing a site where rational adults can discuss the current product(s) and get feedback from someone who is in the industry.
3. I DO read some of the IWC sites from time to time most notably: www.prowrestling.net, www.pwtorch.com and www.pwinsider.com. Sometimes I check in on them to see what kind of comments current talent are making to the Internet, sometimes just for a chuckle, and on some rare occasions information. I must say that when it is information or news that I am looking for, I only go to www.prowrestling.net as in my experience Jason Powell’s site is the only one who attempts confirm and source check news before posting it.
4. I DO NOT think I am more intelligent that the IWC (but I wouldn’t be afraid to play scrabble with any of them!)
5. I DO make it a point to call bullshit on them when they get it wrong.
Which is probably why this past couple of weeks have generated so much digital banter. Most of the writers of these sites love to criticize, analyze, predict and claim to know the motives and mindset of those in the business. But they hate it when they are the subjects of such critique.
Check out the complete blog online at EricBischoff.com
Have a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report?