BILL BEHRENS NWA NEWS & NOTES for 5-18-09
WWW.NWAANARCHY.NET NWA ANARCHY SITE
WWW.NWA-WILDSIDE.COM NWA WILDSIDE SITE
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/NWA_ANARCHY NWA ANARCHY MYSPACE SITE
WWW.NWAWRESTLING.COM NWA SITE
I record weekly segments on WHO’s SLAMMING WHO @
http://www.whosslammingwho.podomatic.com/ (for podcasts)
updated MONDAYS, and then available for at least two weeks
Also recording are Jim Cornette, Jody Hamilton, Kevin Kelly, Lanny Poffo, Iron Sheik, and more.
This week on INSIDE THE BEHRENS BUBBLE, Bill Behrens finishes up his discussion on the importance of good referees, and "the rules" and moves on to managers.
Please also visit www.wrestlezone.com where I contribute.
A new site is up to showcase the wrestlers I represent for wrestling bookings and personal appearances. Please visit www.sbibookings.com
NWA ANARCHY TV TAPING RESULTS for 5-16-09 by LARRY GOODMAN
It was a soggy Saturday evening in Cornelia for NWA Anarchy’s second television taping in May.
Like the taping two week ago, match quality was good across the board. Two matches stood out as special.
The storylines make sense and give you a reason to care. People are screwing each other right and left. Consequently, the level of violence is escalating.
It’s a good night at the wrestling matches when the show ends with a killer babyface turn like the one they pulled off with Iceberg last night.
They had three hours of television to fill – a necessary evil in months with five Saturdays (an added May 30 show did not come to fruition) so some matches were given more time than under normal circumstances.
Attendance at the NWA Arena was 130 compared for 190 on the same weekend in 2008.
The atmosphere reminded me of an NWA Wildside taping. The crowd was smaller and quieter but in no way apathetic. They saved the pops for the key spots. As the company approaches its four year anniversary, there’s a degree of sophistication in the fanbase similar to the Wildside days.
(1) Todd Sexton pinned Bo Newsome at 7:29. Early on, it was Bo working on Sexton’s arm with a look of determination on his face. Sexton took liberties on the break, but Bo stayed on the attack, dumping Sexton to the floor. Back inside, Sexton lit into Bo with a series of high impact moves for near falls. Newsome connected with a dropkick that sent Sexton down face first. Nice finishing sequence here. Sexton rolled through on a flying body press and tried for the Sharpshooter, then an ankle lock, but Bo escaped sending Sexton face first into the turnbuckle. Newsome got near falls with a rolling reverse and a falling reverse DDT for near falls before Sexton finished him with the running knee to the cranium. Good opener.
Sexton gave notice that the Young Lions were on the endangered species list. “I am The Excellence of Sexecution. I am Todd Sexton.”
On the WrestleVision, we saw Seth Delay & Brodie Chase gloating about how they had done everything they said they were going to do. They were confronted by Talent & Money. Drew Pendleton III accused them of costing T&M the tag titles. “You’re either with us or against us, and without us, you ain’t beatin’ nobody,” said Delay. J.T. Talent socked Chase in the jaw, and boy, did that ever look awesome in the close up shot. They had a pull apart, which always come across really chaotic in the cramped quarters backstage at the NWA Arena.
(2) Skirra Corvus beat Frankie Valentine and El Veterano IV in 7:21 to earn a shot at the Young Lions’ Championship.Good match with little heat. Veterano had the full scale Lucha Libre mask this time. It’s about time Anarchy had a luchador. The heels beat on IV, who came back with a double Japanese armdrag and a flapjack on Corvus. The heels regained the advantage and immediately began fighting over the ring to pin IV. The rest of the match was round robin three way action. There was a cool spot where Valentine was trying to pin IV with an O’Connor roll and Corvus took him down with a running blockbuster. Corvus splatted on the hardwood floor. IV was flying around until Valentine rudely dumped him out into the rail. Corvus pinned Valentine with the Grayeyard Shift (curbstomp). Finisher didn’t look as devastating as usual. It appeared Valentine didn’t take it properly. I liked the aspect of Corvus winning without the Reverend at ringside.
(3) New Wave (Steven Walters & Derrick Driver) beat Technicians (Bobby Moore & Tyler Smith) to retain the NWA Anarchy Tag Team Championship in 6:24. Technicians got the jump on New Wave and hit the Hart Attack for a near fall just after the opening bell. Walters fought out of the heel corner to make the tag. New Wave doubled on Smith with spot on teamwork. They’re looking every bit the part of a classic babyface championship tag team these days. They went for the Unskinny Bop but
(5) Orion Bishop pinned Chris Mayne in 2:45. Fans still seem unsure just how to react to Bishop’s intense but . A decent squash with Bishop hitting his trademark moves and spearing Mayne for the pin.
Postmatch: Shatter and Kimo (with Jeff G. Bailey) attacked Bishop. Kimo devastated Bishop with the million and one martial arts blows. Bailey said Bishop picked the wrong person to align with in Mikal Judas. Bailey challenged Judas to show himself, so Kimo could finish him. The lights went out and Judas’ music played. The lights came back on. No Judas and Bishop was gone.
The postmatch was hilarious. Some old woman in the front row started doing this suggestive dance for Chase. It looked like Brodie’s eyeballs were going to melt. But his look of disgust changed to lust when from the ramp, Brodie signaled to granny to call him.
(7) Mike Mosley & Andrew Alexander (with Jay Clinton) beat Wild Bunch (Billy Buck & Chris King) in 11:08. I got a call about all the craziness down in
Lewis came out to congratulate the members of his Entourage. He called them world class athletes. He also referred to Mosley as “Kyle Mosley”. Out came Rowdy Friends (Matthews and Jessco Blue). Lewis pointed out the odds – 4 against 2 and ½ (the half being Matthew’s belly). Matthews issued a challenge for a match against Lewis and a partner of his choosing. Lewis wanted to know what was in it for him. Matthews put up Jessco’s shoulder length hair. “I reckon that could be outstandinger than hell,” said Jessco. Lewis put Jay Clinton’ two tone Mohawk. Wild Bunch ran out and the faces dumped Entourage out of the ring.
Reverend and Bailey appeared on the WrestleVision. Reverend said it was the union of two of the greatest minds in the world, the two greatest factions in NWA history, and together they would destroy the challenge of Truitt Fields and Ace Rockwell. Bailey said Fields was humiliated at Hardcore Hell, and now he was in for hurt, punishment and regret.
(8) Malachi beat Skirra Corvus via DQ in 9:34 to retain the Young Lion’s Championship. Malachi got a great pop. He’s got some mighty thick soles on those boots. Shades of Silky Boom Boom. Corvus opened with chain wrestling. Malachi answered with an arm drag combo. Malachi busted out of his sweet moves – a headscissors from a tree of woe position with Corvus hanging upside down outside the ropes. Corvus tried for the Graveyard Shift but Malachi got to the ropes. Corvus worked on Malachi’s back. He used the standing variation of Cattle Mutilation. Malachi upended Corvus on double jump move to start a full-fledged comeback. Malachi went up top to finish with the frogsplash and got dumped by Azrael for the DQ.
Devil’s Rejects (Azrael, Tempers & Corvus) gave Malachi the beatdown. Reverend announced that Iceberg was back in the fold. Iceberg entered and rather gently threw Malachi out of the ring. Reverend berated Berg. Said he wasn’t the star he used to be and called him broken down war horse. Tempers blasted Iceberg with his title belt busting him open. Iceberg made a 1 on 3 comeback. He had the Reverend trapped in the corner, but Tempers came from behind to wrap a coathanger around his throat (a reprise of a famous Wildside angle where Iceberg did likewise to Hotstuff Hernandez). Tempers choked Iceberg out until the Reverend said enough. Iceberg was down for a long time, but got up under his own power with the fans urging him on. NWA Anarchy owner Jerry Palmer cautiously entered the ring with a towel. He tossed the towel towards Iceberg, like he was throwing food to a wild animal. Iceberg shunned the towel and headed for the back door with blood streaming down his face.
Rejects hit the ring to beat on the babyfaces. Iceberg approached with the coathanger, and the Rejects scattered. Fans started chanting his name. Palmer came out. Keeping his distance, he invited Iceberg to leave via the ramp (rather than the back door exit used by Rejects). The show closed with Iceberg walking up the ramp much to the delight of the Anarchy fans.
Great way to end the show.
NOTES: Former Anarchy star, Nemesis is slated to appear for Georgia Wrestling Promotions tonight in
NWA ANARCHY TV EPS #170 ONLINE NOW at http://nwaanarchy.net/main/
MATCH #1 ENTOURAGE VS NEWSOME, KONLEY, KROSS & KNIGHT
MATCH #2 SLIM J VS TYLER SMITH
MATCH #3 TALENT & MONEY VS WILD BUNCH
MATCH #5 SHATTER VS ORION BISHOP
MATCH #6 FIELDS & TEMPERS VS DEVILS REJECTS
NWA Anarchy/APW AFTERSHOCK from the 5-8 Show In
Devil’s Rejects vs Shadow Jackson & Don Matthews DDQ
Duncan Enterprises had an in ring confrontation with The Hate Junkies, Duncan Enterprises face the new Tag Champs, Bo Newsome & Kareem Jamar later in the show….Junkies remind them that to get to the title they told them they’d have to go through the Junkies
Mike Posey def Casey J, BJ Hancock saved J before he was hit with a chair postmatch by Posey. BJ faces Posey on 5-15 in Royston.
Jeremy Vain & Taco bragged about Donovan Sweet losing the
Dustin Knight retained the North Georgia Title defeating BJ Hancock in a good match
Duncan Enterprises was DQed in their match with Bob Newsom & Kareem Jamar when the Hate Junkies interferred to force the DQ. Jacob Ashworth ordered Hate Junkies vs Duncan Enterprises for 5-15.
Slim J defeated Seth Delay to become the new Southern States Champion.
NWA Anarchy/APW Aftershock & Results from 5-15-09
Jeremy Vain defeated Casey J, The "Staight Arrow" Voice Was heard again
Mike Posey defeated BJ Hancock
Don Matthews defeated Azrael who was distracted by Chris King
Duncan Enterprises and the Hate Junkies battled to a double DQ
Kareem Abdul Jamar & Bo Newsom and the Franchise went to a no contest when Duncan Enterprsisdes and Hate Junkies hit on the match.
Southern States Champion Slim J defeated North Georgia Champion Dustin Knight
Next Friday 5-22 the APW Main Event in
Hate Junkies & Duncan Enterprises vs The Franchise & APE Tag Team Champion Bo Newsome and Kareen Jamar
NWA Upstate Update 5/13
I just got an email from an extremely ticked Star Rider. Apparently,
Apparently the challenge was accepted and now the match of the Star
Star Rider even had the gaul to say that the Star Foundation has been
"Roselli has got our backs! That’s why I pay him the big bucks! You
This loaded card just got a bit more stacked. I can’t wait to see this…
Anniversary Anarchy V
Saturday May 23rd, 2009
Minett Hall @ the Dome Arena
Preshow: 6:00 PM, Main Show: 6:30 PM
Old ECW vs New ECW
2CW Heavyweight Title Match:
Anything Goes Rochester Street Fight
Steel Cage Match
The Star Foundation (Star Rider, "The Amazing Canadian" Lionel Knight,
And the RETURN of Trent Acid and Johnny Kashmere
Just ADDED: Romeo Roselli offers an open challenge
"The Bull of Black Mountain" Gabreal Saint vs. Isys Ephex
Pre-Sale Tickets Available at
Kayfabe Dojo Wrestling Inc Presents in Sanction
No Limits TV Taping
produced by Big Guy Productions for WBGT My 18
4853 West Henrietta Rd
Sunday May 24, 2009
1st Match Announced:
Mo Mantha defends his newly won No Limits Title
Return of Rhythm and Booze to WNY
Gabe Saint plans to confront Jimmy Olsen "Man to Man"
Plus Appearances By:
GABE "THE BABE" takes Texas Junior title
The outrageous Gabe "The Babe" Himeros of San Antonio, made good on his challenge against 3-time Texas Junior champion and second generation star Cody Jones on May 16, in a title match at NWA-SW / PWF Wrestleplex.
The match went 16 minutes with Gabe taking the pin fall in controversial fashion with his "One Night Stand" – cut throat knee neck breaker move – in a ring corner . The ref counted 1-2-3, but Cody protested as many ringside fans that Jones got a leg on the bottom rope at the count of three. The ref did not see the alleged protest to reverse, and neither did the NWA-SW Commissioner Ken Taylor who was present but was in the back at the time and did not see the alleged protest to reverse the decision either.
Gabe also suffered a lower leg injury in the match taking a slam onto the runway platform and required crutches to leave the venue. He is scheduled to see his doctor Monday in
NWA Fusion from 5-16 in Mathews, VA
Dirty Sanchez b Victor Griff
Krotch b Grail, Mark Bravura b
American Ranger b Vulstag
Da New Bloodz b
Sean Denny won Royal Rumble
Mike Booth b Damien Wayne
Have a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report?