BILL BEHRENS NWA NEWS & NOTES for 3-23-09
WWW.NWAANARCHY.NET NWA ANARCHY SITE
WWW.NWA-WILDSIDE.COM NWA WILDSIDE SITE
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/NWA_ANARCHY NWA ANARCHY MYSPACE SITE
WWW.NWAWRESTLING.COM NWA SITE
I’ m recording weekly segments on WHO’s SLAMMING WHO @
http://www.whosslammingwho.podomatic.com/ (for podcasts)
updated MONDAYS @ 6PM, and then available for at least a week thereafter.
Also recording are Jerry Jarrett, Jim Cornette, Jody Hamilton, Iron Sheik, and more.
This week on INSIDE THE BEHRENS BUBBLE, Bill Behrens discusses missing Jerry Jarrett’s reports, responsibility in wrestling, how to pick your wrestling name, ROH, and the recent NWA Anarchy TV taping with Les Thatcher on commentary & AJ Styles and sons & Consequences Creed visiting.
3/21 NWA Anarchy Report by Larry Goodman
It was another thumbs up television taping from NWA Anarchy last night in Cornelia. With Hardcore Hell now just four weeks away, the pieces of the puzzle are fitting into place. There are burning issues to be addressed.
As opposed to the last taping, this one was geared more toward telling stories in the ring. The intensity level among the crew was up. Generally speaking, the quality of the wrestling was above the norm. There were a few glitchy moments, but nothing that detracted from the overall flow and tone of the evening.
A total of 200 graced the NWA Arena with their presence. They were a bit slow to warm to task but once they did, the place was cooking.
Greg Hunter introduced Les Thatcher as the third man in the announce booth for the evening along with John Johnson.
(1) Orion Bishop annihilated Chris Mayne in 1:05. Fans were clueless about Bishop, but this match gave them a fair idea about his bad ass attitude. Fallaway slam, Vader Bomb and spear for the pin.
(2) New Wave (Derrick Driver & Steven Walters) beat Seth Delay & Brodie Chase when Walters pinned Delay after the Unskinny Bop (8:04). Pre-match: Talent & Money gave Chase and Delay their payola. You knew that because the envelope Pendleton handed Chase had a big $ sign on it. Chase’s upper body is looking quite muscular these days. Rough start for Walters and Chase. Delay took Driver down and the heels went to work on his back. Walters had to break up the pin after a top rope elbow drop by Delay. Driver escaped from a slingshot suplex. There was a problem with ring positioning here, as all Driver had to do was turn around to make the tag. Instead, he first waited get in an enzuigiri. Walter entered with a sweet top rope forearm. They redid a wheelbarrow-dropkick combo spot that fell apart midstream. Double chestcracker on Chase and the finisher on Delay. Nothing particularly good to say about this match. The chestcracker looks more devastating than their signature finisher. Does this mean the champions get their money back?
(3) Malachi beat Adrian Hawkins in 5:45 to become number one contender for the Young Lion’s Championship. Hawkins was laying in wait. He greeted Malachi with a vicious shot into the announcer’s booth and a suplex on the ramp. A relentless beating ensued. Hawkins was strong with the facial expressions. But unable to seal the deal, Hawkins mounting frustations got the better of him. Malachi kicked out of Hawkins’ spinning Liger Bomb, so he went up top. Malachi met him with a back body drop and hit a diving headbutt with an extra edge of danger for the pin. Worked for me so far as building Malachi as a legit challenger.
(4) Ace Rockwell won the Lucky Seven Rumble to earn the NWA National Heavyweight Title shot at Hardcore Hell (13:10). Alan Funk owned Jeff Lewis for the first two minutes. Jeremy Vain was next. Vain and Lewis doubled up on Funk, who fought off being tossed over the top. Shadow
(5)The Entourage (Kyle Matthews & Andrew Alexander & Mike Mosley & Jay Clinton) beat TK Cross & Caleb Konley & Bo Newsome & Dustin Knight in 7:58. The highlight was the opening between Cross and Alexander – it was the most fundamentally sound chain wrestling I’ve seen from either one of them. Entourage isolated Newsome.
Don Matthews appeared on the WrestleVision screen to introduce Jessco Blue. Seems his search of the
(6) Slim J beat Tyler Smith (with Bobby Moore) via DQ in 7:15. A freaking awesome performance by J, and Smith more than held up his end. J was super aggressive and with good reason after last time. Intense back and forth on the arm early. J started kicking Smith’s ass, so
That’s when Sexton showed up.
Oh Slimmy, Slimmy, Slimmy, This is really starting to bore me.
Sexton ordered Technicians to finish the job. That wasn’t happening, as J did this great one-on-two deal where he KOed Smith and flipped
My way, submissions or knock out, Hardcore Hell, me and you, Buhhster.
(7) Talent & Money (JT Talent & Andrew Pendleton III) beat Wild Bunch (Billy Buck & Chris King) in 8:11 to retain the NWA Anarchy Tag Team Championship when Talent pinned Buck. Another match with sound basic psychology. Talent lectured Buck about the champions being on a much higher plane than Wild Bunch. Talent caught hell for those remarks. The heels went to town on King’s back. King leapfrogged Talent for the hot tag. Buck on fire. Pendleton was Talent’s savior here. He rescued Talent from Buck’s Samoan drop and the cowboys’ superkick/legsweep finisher. After trashing King, he jumped in the ring to hit the Bail Out on Buck.
Austin Creed came out to a huge ovation. NWA Anarchy owner Jerry Palmer said Creed had earned the title match of his choosing by winning a rumble match several months ago. However, his NWA National Championship match against Shatter was off because of the concussion he suffered at Destination X. Creed said he wanted to give his shot to someone else. Palmer said he could keep his title shot for later, but Creed’s man would also get a shot. Out came Bishop.
(8) Phil Shatter (with Attorney Jeff G. Bailey) beat Orion Bishop to retain the NWA National Title in 3:39. The two beasts went to war with neither giving an inch. Bishop popped up after taking a back suplex and powerslammed Shatter. Shatter hit a spinebuster and started to give Bishop a beating. He planted a high knee in Bishop’s sternum. After softening Bishop up for the spear, Shatter ate the turnbuckle charging in. Bishop hit the fallaway slam and the Vader Bomb to set up a spear of his own, but gored the turnbuckle when Shatter stepped aside. Shatter then speared Bishop for the pin. Solid match. Bishop got respect applause on his way out, and that’s not easy for a first-timer to get in this building.
(9) Devil’s Rejects (Iceberg & Azrael with The Reverend & Skirra Corvus) vs. Truitt Fields & Shaun Tempers ended as a five minute no contest. Fields looks has added mass. The dude looks swole. Iceberg knocked Fields into Tempers before the bell. A little foreshadowing there. Match was mostly Iceberg’s wickedly rejuvenated offense and Fields selling his ass off. wickedly inspired offense. He busted out the 400 pound cannonball corner splash. Out of nowhere, Fields hit the Killing Fields. He made the tag. Tempers stepped into the ring, wheeled around and punched Fields in the face. Fans were in stunned silence. No way they saw this one coming.
Tempers maced Fields. Corvus followed with the curbstomp. Iceberg hit a Ground Zero splash. At this point, all hell broke loose. Rockwell was the first babyface out of the dressing room. Berg and and Izzy wasted them one by one. Malachi took a sick body block on the ramp from Iceberg. In the ring, Tempers did further damage to Fields with the hangman’s neckbreaker. The people were hot now. Trash was hitting the ring. The Reject retreated to ringside to admire their work. The Reverend hugged Tempers. Great segment.
They made a huge deal out of the mace. Fields was down forever. They splashed water in his eyes and brought out a towel. It definitely had some people believing.
NOTES: A. J. Styles was visiting backstage with his two boys…The reviews of the first two days of Les Thatcher’s NWA Excellence Camp were uniformly stellar. One of the attendees commented on how Thatcher was a master of metaphors. He came at the key point from multiple angles so if one metaphor didn’t speak to you, he had another one that would. I attended a portion of the camp today. It was phenomenal. If you’re involved in pro wrestling at the indie level, you need to hear what this man has to say. I know for a fact that NWA Anarchy is all the better for the experience…The top 2-4 trainees in camp will get to wrestle on Anarchy television…Hunter made the point that Thatcher is the only announcer to have worked alongside Jim Ross, Gordon Solie, Lance Russell and Bob Caudle…A contingent from GeorgiaWrestlingHistory.com and GWH radio was in the house including owner Rich Tate and Bobby Simmons from Peach State Pandemonium (Wed at 9pm) and Nose Bleed Section co-hosts John Cannon and Joe Cowart (Thurs at 9pm)…Among the trainees was Drew Haskins from Showtime All-star Wrestling…The entire Anarchy crew extended sang Happy Birthday for queen of the concession area, Sandy Burton.
NWA ANARCHY TV EPS #162 ONLINE NOW at http://nwaanarchy.net/main/
MATCH #1 RECAP & INTRO
MATCH #3 KONKRETE GORILLAS VS SLIM J & SHADOW JACKSON
Craig Cole just launched PRO WRESTLING WORLDWIDE TV at
The site features TV shows from NWA Anarchy, NWA Main Event, NWA Charlotte & More!
Results from NWA Upstate’s March Meltdown at
The German House in
Troy "The Boy" Buchanan def Prime Time Pete with a neck breaker
Dustytaker def The Krusher via disqualification after Jimmy Olsen and Colin Delaney interfered
Cloudy def Mean Marcos (w/Nikki Jett) with a sitout spinebuster
Dew Van Dam def "The Handsome Hebrew" Ben Golden with the 3 Star Frog Splash
NWA Upstate Tag Team Championship 3 Team Elimination Match: McCloud Brothers vs The Caribbean Connection vs (C) Triple X and Star Cat (w/Johnny Kayfabe)
The Caribbean Connection are the first team eliminated
Star Cat and Triple X eliminated via disqualification with use of the NWA Upstate Tag Team Championship; However, the titles do not change hands on disqualification
Winners: The McCloud Brothers
NWA Upstate No Limits Championship: Mo Mantha wins the Upstate No Limits Championship with the Piledriver with an assist from Jimmy Olsen over former champion Gabe Saint.
Intermission is followed by NWA Upstate owner Chip Stetson calling out Jimmy Olsen leading to a fight which was thrown out after Colin Delaney and NWA Upstate Champion Danny Doring interfered, followed by
Spazz defeats Soundcheck Sully and Dicky Harter in a Three Way Dance with the Facehump on Soundcheck Sully
The Young and the Wrestlers of "Superbad" Richard Venice, Mark Ando, and York Barnes def The Sweet Wonder Express of Rob "Just 2" Sweet, Mark Kreiger, and Zach Atticus
After the match, NWA Upstate owner Chip Stetson announced three huge matches for NWA Upstate’s 5th Anniversary show May 23rd as Colin Delaney will square off with the Sicilian Shooter Little Guido, Jimmy Olsen will do battle with Slyk Wagner Brown and for the NWA Upstate Heavyweight Championship inside the steel cage Danny Doring will defend against Pepper Parks!
NWA East/ PWX
INSPIRATIONAL STAR IRON AND SPORTS ANCHOR BURTON WIN NWA EAST GOLD!
SHIRLEY DOE def. BRANDON K via countout
Doe called out anybody in the locker room who could give him a challenge. Out came NWA East Heavyweight Champion "The Spotlight" Scottie Gash! Gash and Doe brawled around the Jacob Woll Pavilion, even going in the bathroom and outside the building! These former teammates have a grudge against each other, that’s for sure!
THE FRANCHISE PLAYERS (Jon Kronica & Robert Beverly) def. THE STRAIGHT JACKET MAFIA (Syko Sean Dahmer & Apollyon) in the semi-final round of the NWA East Tag Team Title Tournament
GREGORY IRON def. NWA East Three Rivers Champion "DIVISION 1" JAMES ROSS to win the title
QUINN MAGNUM def. BENJAMIN C. STEELE
After intermission, Chris Taylor came to the ring, a little more toned down and somber than usual. He informed the crowd that the rumors of him stepping away from NWA East are true. He did say it will not be "farewell forever" but instead, "goodbye for now".
DOUBLE DRAGON (Blue Dragon & Blue Dragon) def. PATRICK HAYES & JAMES ROSS in the semi-final round of the NWA East Tag Team Title Tournament
RYAN MITCHELL def. CRUSHER HANSEN
NWA East Heavyweight Champion "THE SPOTLIGHT" SCOTTIE GASH def. DASH BENNETT
NWA East Director of Authority Joe Dombrowski came to ringside and asked everybody else to leave… except the
JON BURTON def. PATRICK HAYES to win the NWA East Brass Knuckles Title
For more information on NWA East/ PWX, go to:
WRESTLING WITH HUNGER TO SET WORLD RECORD AND STOCK FOOD BANK SHELVES
March 17, 2009
PORT COQUITLAM, BC – With corporate donations down and the shelves at the food banks becoming bare, ECCW Pro-Wrestling and Dave.ca Communications Inc. are hosting a world record and fund raising event – WRESTLING WITH HUNGER – for SHARE’s food banks.
Twenty wrestlers will grapple around the clock for three days (April 2nd to 5th) at Hyde Creek Recreation Centre in
In 2007, the three food bank depots operated by SHARE in the Tri-Cities provided food to 1,142 households totaling 5,598 people. 45.1% of the recipients are children and youth under the age of 19 – an increase of 8.1% over the previous year. The need for donations at this time of year is great.
Schools, businesses, churches, organizations and individuals are encouraged to setup their own food drives and then bring the donations to the Wrestling With Hunger event location at the Hyde Creek Recreation Centre in
From noon to 2pm on Sunday, April 5th everyone is invited to bring a can of food for SHARE and watch the last two hours of this world record event.
WHAT: Wrestling With Hunger – a fund raiser for SHARE Family and Community Services and world record wrestling event
- 30 -
NOTE: The wrestlers grew up and/or live throughout the Lower Mainland. If you would like to speak to a wrestler based out of your community, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
CITY OF PORT COQUITLAM TO PROCLAIM APRIL 2ND TO 5TH “WRESTLING WITH HUNGER” WEEKEND
Representatives from SHARE Family and Community Services (who operate the food banks), Dave.ca Communications Inc. (who is organizing the event ) and wrestlers from ECCW Pro-Wrestling will he on hand at the ceremony at City Hall.
Immediately proceeding the proclamation, the above representatives will be available in the foyer on the third floor outside the Council Chambers for interviews and photos ops.
Date: Monday, March 23, 2009
For more information on Wrestling With Hunger please visit www.WrestlingWithHunger.com.
- 30 -
The NWA Midwest website, www.midwestwrestling.com, has been updated. It now looks very similar to the main NWA Website.
NWA Midwest represents the states of
The upcoming shows, event results and other news from NWA Midwest will posted on the new NWA Midwest website.
There is also a brand new Message Board.
Go to www.midwestwrestling.com and then click on the NWA Midwest logo and it takes right to the new site.
NWA MID-WEST/ICW RESULTS 3-20-09
*NWA Midwest X Champ Troy Walters pinned Mickey McCoy
RESULTS FROM THE 3/21/2009 STILL STANDING NWA UNDERGROUND SHOW:
7.THE BEBE BOYS d.
NWA Southwest’s 11th Anniversary Show Results
1. Ky-ote pinned Gabe The Babe