– WWE brought Ric Flair to Columbia, SC on 8/21 to do P.R., but was then told he wouldn’t be needed for Smackdown, which he felt was a slap in the face.
– Flair had been bitter about doing the clean job on 7/2 in Dallas vs. Fit Finlay to an Indian deathlock.
– Previously, Flair was disappointed that his scheduled match vs. Carlito Wrestlemania 23 match was scrapped.
– Flair was told he would be used more on Smackdown than he was on Raw. Flair felt being moved to Smackdown was a demotion from the “A” show.
– Following this year’s Wrestlemania, Flair was told they would do a year-long program leading to his retirement match at Wrestlemania 24 in Orlando. Steve Austin laid out a plan of Flair losing a series of matches and then snapping, and saying “enough is enough.” In the storyline, Flair would say he would retire if he lost one more match, setting up his final run.
– Being encouraged by his wife Tiffany, Flair is reportedly in the mindset that his career is over and is starting a new business venture.
The two sides are still talking. Some sort of deal will likely be worked out.