– The WWE promo hits.
– A video package airs highlighting tonight’s scheduled World Title matches involving the WWE Championship, World Heavyweight Championship and ECW Championship.
– A graphic opening then hits welcoming us to Vengeance. We go live to Houston where a series pyro goes off inside the Toyota Center.
– We see a shot of Mike Rotundo and Barry Windham sitting at ringside.
– Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch defeated The Hardys to retain the World Tag Team Titles. Jim Ross discussed the history of the World Tag Team Titles we see today on the Raw brand going back to the 1970s. Hardys way over as usual with the crowd. The match kicked off with Lance Cade and Matt Hardy. The Hardys sent Cade and Murdoch to the outside. Cade and Murdoch did the heel “we are going to leave the ring and head to the back” spot, but The Hardys brought them back to the ring. It’s mention that Murdoch has a swollen eye. The finish saw Jeff attempt a Swanton Bomb, but Murdoch sent Jeff off the top rope allowing Cade to hit a quick powerbomb to get the pinfall.
– Backstage, we see King Booker and Sharmell. She tells Booker to be careful tonight. Booker then ran down the various titles he has held in his career.
– A promo for SummerSlam airs with a Jackass mention.
– Michael Cole and JBL then discussed the late Eddie Guerrero and the first time he captured the WWE Championship against Brock Lesnar. They show footage from No Way Out 2004 when this match took place. Since tonight is the “night of champions”, it looks like they are going to do this a few times.
– Dean Malenko is shown in attendance watching the show backstage on a TV monitor.
– Chavo Guerrero defeated Jimmy Wang Yang to retain the WWE Cruiserweight Title. Chavo with lots of ground offense on Yang early in the match. Quick spot saw Yang launch himself off the top rope to take out Chavo on the outside near the announce tables. Later in the match, Chavo attempted the Three Amigos suplexes, but Yang cut him off with a big kick. Yang attempted a moonsault, but Chavo dodged it. The finish saw Yang attempt a corkscrew off the top rope, but Chavo crotched him allowing Chavo to hit the Frog Splash from the top rope to get the pinfall to retain his title.
– Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler again talked about the Vince McMahon limo explosion with footage shown of the event and discussed the current “investigation.”
– Backstage, Todd Grisham was with Bobby Lashley. Lashley talked about being traded to Raw and then being stripped of the ECW Title by Vince McMahon. He said he wished Vince could be at the PPV tonight to see his face when he wins the WWE Championship.
– Clips of Tazz’s in-ring career is shown.
– CM Punk is on his way out to the ring. We have a chance to tonight’s scheduled match for the vacant ECW Championship. Johnny Nitro will be replacing Chris Benoit. It was reported earlier tonight that Benoit had to leave Houston and head back home due to personal reasons. They didn’t announce this change until right now.
– Johnny Nitro defeated CM Punk to become the NEW ECW World Champion. Nitro grounded Punk early in the match with a headlock. Punk tried to fight out of it, but Nitro kept it on the ground. Some quick pinfall attempts by Nitro early on as well. Nitro dropped Punk’s back over his knee and then went back to the headlock/sleeper. Punk attempted the Go To Sleep, but Nitro was able to counter out of it. Nitro then had Punk’s legs up on the ropes and connected with a big swinging neckbreaker. Nitro dragged Punk to the middle of the ring and covered Punk to get the pinfall. After the match, Nitro grabs the ECW Title and holds it up high in the corner. Joey Styles and Tazz both put over how shocked they were to see Johnny Nitro as the new ECW Champion.
– Footage is shown of the classic WWF Title Iron Man Match between Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 12.
– Backstage, Mick Foley and Randy Orton talked about tonight’s WWE Championship Challenge main event.
– Footage is shown of Ricky Steamboat’s career. Steamboat then appeared for the crowd in Houston.
– Santino Marella defeated Umaga via DQ; Marella retains the WWE Intercontinental Title. Well, this ended before it really got started. The finish saw the referee DQ Umaga for not stopping his shots to the head on Santino in the corner. Fans in Houston boo’ed this finish loudly. After the match, Umaga takes out Santino with the Samoan Spike. Believe it or not, the crowd chanted “ONE MORE TIME” loudly. Maria ran out to check on Santino. Big reaction for Umaga to end the segment.
– A promo for The Great American Bash PPV on July 22 airs.
– Michael Cole and JBL introduced video of a press conference held by investigator Daniel Beck about the “death” of Mr. McMahon.
– Magnum T.A. is shown at ringside. They mentioned his reign as United States Champion.
– MVP defeated Ric Flair to retain the WWE United States Title. MVP got in Magnum T.A.’s face during his entrance. JBL mentions that Ric Flair would have done the same thing since he was cocky in his younger years as well. Harley Race is mentioned being in attendance tonight as well. MVP got in Flair’s face early in the match and Flair gave a “WOOOOOO” back. Flair with plenty of stiff chest chops on MVP. MVP took the action to the ground applying a headlock on Flair. MVP dropped Flair on his face with a quick slam, covered, but Flair kicked out after two. Flair fought back with more chest chops. Flair applied the Figure Four on MVP, but MVP was able to get to the ropes. The finish then saw MVP catch Flair with a thumb to the eye and then hit the Playmaker to get the pinfall and retain his title.
– Backstage, Todd Grisham is with WWE Champion John Cena. World Heavyweight Champion Edge interrupted Cena at the beginning. Edge talked about Cena disrespecting Mr. McMahon last week by saying the show must go on. Cena brought up turning on Smackdown to see Edge kissing McMahon’s ass. When Edge leaves, he is confronted by an investigator.
– We see Tony Garea and Rick Martel sitting at ringside tonight. WWE Tag Team Champions Deuce & Domino came out and call Garea and Martel hasbeens. Their opponents tonight in the Open Challenge Match is Sgt. Slaughter and Jimmy Snuka.
– Deuce & Domino defeated Sgt. Slaughter & Jimmy Snuka to retain the WWE Tag Team Titles. There were reports earlier tonight stating that Snuka was having trouble walking around backstage, so tonight’s match may not be pretty. Well, Snuka has blown a few spots already in the ring with Domino. Michael Cole said that Slaughter and Snuka have never teamed up before in their careers. Slaughter got involved applying the Cobra Clutch on Domino. Domino fought off a second attempt and got to the corner. Slaughter tagged in Snuka allowing Snuka to go after his son Deuce. The finish saw Snuka go up to the top rope, jumped and hit a cross-body on Deuce. Deuce rolled through this and pinned his father to get the win to retain the tag titles. After the match, Deuce and Domino started attacking Slaughter and Snuka when Garea and Martel hit the ring to make the save.
– A promo for tomorrow night’s three-hour Raw airs.
– A video package airs highlighting the events between Edge and Batista leading into tonight’s World Heavyweight Championship “Last Chance” Match where Batista must defeat Edge or he won’t get a shot at the World Title again as long as Edge is champion.
– Harley Race is honored and shown in attendance tonight.
– Edge defeated Batista via Count Out to retain the World Heavyweight Title in a Last Chance Match. Before the match got underway, Batista was shown hugging Harley Race in the audience. Early in the match, Edge sent Batista’s shoulder into the ring post. This is the focus as the match progresses as Edge continued to work on Batista’s shoulder. Batista attempted a quick samoan drop, but Edge countered out of it. Edge continues working on Batista’s shoulder/left arm. Edge dropped Batista’s left arm over the top rope. Batista with a big high back body drop on Edge. Fans in Houston are really behind Batista. Edge hits the Edgecution on Batista, covers, but Batista kicks out. Batista starts hulking up. Edge attempts a Spear, but Batista takes Edge out with a Spear first. Edge then gives Batista a low blow to cause a DQ when Batista attempted the Batista Bomb. Batista wins and Edge retains the World Title. Well, we’re not done yet. Teddy Long comes back out and orders the match to re-start. Long added that if Edge tried to get himself DQ’ed again, he would lose the title. Edge with a Spear on Batista right away, covers, but Batista kicked out. They brawl to the outside and Edge attempts a Spear, but Batista dodges it. The referee starts a count in the ring. Batista gives Edge a Batista Bomb on the floor. Batista throws Edge back in the ring, but couldn’t get back in before the referee counted to 10. Edge retains the World Title via Count Out. Batista can’t earn a title shot from now on with Edge as champion. After the match, Batista can’t believe the match finished this way. A frustrated Batista then gives Edge the Batista Bomb in the ring as JBL yells that Batista is a sore loser.
– Another promo for SummerSlam airs.
– Highlights of The Fabulous Moolah is shown.
– Candice Michelle defeated Melina to retain the WWE Women’s Title. Melina with lots of offense on Candice Michelle early in the match. Not a long match at all that saw Candice connect with her spinning kick off the ropes on Melina to get the pinfall on Melina. Candice is the new Women’s Champion.
– Another promo for The Great American Bash PPV on July 22 airs.
– JBL was honored as a former WWE Champion at ringside.
– A video package airs highlighting tonight’s WWE Championship Challenge Match.
WWE Championship Challenge title match: John Cena vs. King Booker (with Queen Sharmell) vs. Mick Foley vs. Randy Orton vs. Bobby Lashley.
Roberts said all five guys can be in the ring at the same time, and first pin fall wins the match. No DQs or countouts, and we must have a winner. Lashley flew over the top rope onto all four of his opponents on the arena floor. Lashley rammed Cena’s head into the ring steps. They did a couple of face to face encounters with Cena vs. Lashley – the grapplers Vince McMahon’s sees as the guys to build his company around. King Booker rammed Foley into the ring steps. Cena FU-ed Lashley through the ECW announce table. Scissors kick by Booker T on Cena, but Orton made the save. Orton RKO-ed Cena, but Foley made the save. Double armed DDT by Foley on Orton. Foley pulled out Mr. Socko, but Booker T thrust kicked Foley out of the ring. Foley hit Lashley hard with a steel chair, which dented the chair. Foley hit Cena with the chair, but is attacked from behind by Orton. Lashley speared Orton. Cena tried to FU King Booker, but he made it to the ropes. Cena FU-ed Foley at 10:07 to retain the gold.
Discuss last night’s WWE Vengeance pay-per view with 15,000+ die-hard fans in the WrestleZone forums by CLICKING HERE.
Have a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report?