* LIVE from the Arena at Harbor Yard in Bridgeport, CT
– J.R. and King welcome us to RAW – graphics are shown to plug HBK vs. Orton and John Cena on the Cutting Edge.
– Shane McMahon makes his way to the ring. Shane says that usualy the name ‘McMahon’ strikes fear and respect into people but recently it’s generated laughter, he says he is the 4th generation of McMahon in this business and his sons are the 5th generation. He says tonight he will put the respect back into that name, he calls out Bobby Lashley to the ring, Lashley comes out, Shane informs him that tonight he will be putting the ECW Title on the line to non other than Shane himself. Umaga and Estrada come down the ramp, Shane tells them to back off and he doesn’t want their help, he slaps Estrada and Armando makes Umaga leave. Back in the ring Lashley says if he wants to make this interesting then if Shane wins he becomes ECW Champion, but if Lashley wins, Shane gets shaved bald just like his dad, Shane accepts!
(1) Tag Team Match – Mickie James & Candice Michelle vs. Victoria & Women’s Champion Melina. Crowd was totally flat for this one. Nice back and forth match – Mickie pins Victoria after a big DDT for the victory.
– They show a clip of Vince having his head shaved at WrestleMania and then show a graphic for Lashley vs. Shane – Title vs. Hair
– Backstage Mick Foley is walking with a boy from the Make a Wish Foundation – Foley is calling him the honoree GM for the night, he meets the Highlanders and Maria backstage.
(2) Tag Team Match – Ric Flair & Carlito vs. Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch
Before Cade & Murdoch come to the ring, Carlito says that he is honored that Flair is associated with him, he shows a clip from the â<80><9c>Ric Flair and the Four Horsemenâ<80> DVD, after the clip the fans are clapping, Carlito says that Flair has the opportunity to have gold around his waist again because if they win their match they will have a shot at the World Tag Team Championship at Backlash. Cade and Murdoch hit the High Low on Carlito for the victory and the Tag Title shot at Backlash. After the match, Carlito storms off leaving Flair in the ring.
– We are shown a video preview of Steve Austin’s “The Condemned.”
– Backstage, Shane gets in Coach’s face saying tonight we’re doing things his way.
– Also backstage, Todd Grisham interviews Shawn Michaels, he says that he’s going to start telling it like it is, tonight may be his last chance to be in the championship picture so whoever wants it more will be the winner. Randy Orton then comes into shot, he says that Shawn blew his chance and says that he is the one who wants it more, Shawn mocks Orton saying he is the 1000th person to tell him in so many words that he will amount to nothing.
(3) #1 Contenders Match for the WWE Championship – Randy Orton vs. Shawn Michales.
Shawn makes his way to the ring to his music – not DX’s. No crotch chops either – all HBK stuff.
During the match, Edge makes his way to ringside, Orton is distracted and HBK nearly gets the win.
Some great action, ref bump, HBK hits a diving elbow, tunes up the band but Edge distracts him, Orton takes Shawn and himself out of the ring, RKO on the ground, Orton gets in Edge’s face, Orton goes for RKO, Edge reverses, tries to push Orton into the ringpost, Orton stops himself and turns around into a spear from Edge.
Edge puts Orton back in the ring, tries to revive ref, a second ref comes out, Shawn and Orton get to their feet, Sweet Chin Music on Orton and HBK falls on top of Orton. 2nd ref counts Orton’s shoulders down, but 1st ref sees HBK’s shoulders down as well. Refs argue as Edge walks off looking happy with himself declaring that he is the #1 contender.
– Backstage, Orton storms into Shane’s office to complain about the match, Shane tell Orton to take it up with Coach because he has enough on his plate.
– Also backstage, Foley is with Michael the Make a Wish kid, he meets Val Venis, Super Crazy and Cryme Tyme.
Johnny Nitro walks over, looks at Foley in disgust and walks off again, Coach then approches them, he gets in the kid’s face, Michael says he has something to tell Coach. Before he could Edge comes into shot and tells Coach he needs to talk to him, Coach and Edge walk off and Foley and Michael say “we tried to tell him.”
(4) Non-Title – World Tag Team Champions The Hardys vs. The World’s Greatest Tag Team. King and J.R. plug that RAW next week will take place in Milan, Italy.
The Hardys win with a Twist of Fate-Swanton Bomb combo on Benjamin.
Up next: The Cutting Edge
– They plugged Steve Austin’s movie yet again.
– The Cutting Edge: Edge makes his way to the ring, he says that he has spoke to Coach and Coach agrees that Edge should be #1 Contender, Orton then interrupts him and chases him out the ring, Orton says Edge is that last person who deserves to be #1 contender, and that Orton is, HBK then makes his way to the ring, he says that he is the better man and that at Backlash it should be the rematch of all rematches for the title.
WWE Champion John Cena then makes his way to the ring, he tells Edge that he couldn’t get the job done, OLrton has never had a shot and thats his own fault, and if HBK wants a rematch he can have one.
Coach then makes his way to the ring – he decides at Backlash Cena will defend the title against Orton & Edge in a handicap match. Mick Foley then interrupts, he tells Coach that they tries to tell hik but he wouldn’t listen, he doesn’t get to make the big decision tonight, Michael does. The kid makes a fatal four way match at Backlash featuring John Cena, Randy Orton, Edge and Shawn Michaels for the WWE Championship.
Up next: Lashey vs. Shane
(5) ECW World Title vs. Hair Match – Bobby Lashley vs. Shane McMahon. During the match Shane punches the ref getting himself DQ’ed. Umaga, Estrada and Vince then make their way to ringside. Umaga attacks Lashley.
Shane hits Lashley in the head with a steel chair. Vince gets in Lashley’s face and announces at Backlash he will defens the ECW Title against Umaga, Shane McMahon AND Vince McMahon. Vince declares the ECW Title is coming to the McMahon’s.
Vince takes free shots on Lashley as Umaga and Shane hold him when RAW goes off the air.
Have a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report?