– Following Randy Coutureâ<80><99>s thrilling victory over Tim Sylvia to capture the UFC Heavyweight title on Saturday night in Columbus, Ohio, there appears to be possible scenarios for Coutureâ<80><99>s next match. There is talk of doing Couture against Chuck Liddell (if he would be ready) on May 26 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, but the more likely match would pit Couture against the April 21 winner of the Mirko â<80><9c>Cro Copâ<80> Filipovic vs. Gabriel Gonzaga match in Manchester, England. If Couture faces the Cro Cop-Gonzaga winner, the match is expected to take place in July or August, although it appears Couture, 43, would like it to be sooner than later.
– The video screens set up at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio for the UFC 68 PPV took away a few hundred spectator seats.
– After the PPV show, new champion Randy Couture signed autographs for fans for hours, and even required security to prevent him from being squished by the mass of people.
– Look for ESPN to take a more active role in covering the MMA world. ESPN radio had on the Fight Network’s Loretta Hunt to help preview UFC 68 last week.
– The 3/3 UFC 68 PPV set a North American MMA attendance record with 19,049 fans present at the the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.
– Randy Couture said after his main event showdown with Tim Sylvia that he was tired after the second round, but was charged for the fourth and fifth rounds.
– The working title of Couture’s autobiography is “Becoming the Natural: My blow by blow journey as life’s ultimate fighter.” There is also talk of doing a Couture movie.
– Loretta Hunt, the author of Couture’s upcoming book, will be on ESPN Radio tomorrow at 10:30 AM EST as well on “The Herd” with Colin Cowherd.
– Hunt and Couture have been working on the book for about a year now, and should be between 200 and 250 pages (including pictures) when published.
Have a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report?