– The new TNA opening hits. A very well done video package then rolls showing footage of the NASA space program and mirroring its accomplishments with the ground TNA has covered recently highlighting Sting, Kurt Angle, Samoa Joe among others. The NWA World Title, LAX trying to burn the American flag and Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe is also highlighted.
– A graphic opening hits welcoming us to TNA Genesis. We then go live to the Impact Zone in Orlando, Florida where a display of pyro goes off above the ring and in the entrance area.
– The music of Kazarian, Bentley and Devine hit as all three men make their way down to the ring. Out next is VKM (Voodoo Kin Mafia).
– Voodoo Kin Mafia defeated Kazarian, Bentley & Devine. The fans started a loud “DX SUCKS” chant at the start of the match. Kip James hit a Pedigree on Bentley, looked to hit some “Sweet Chin Music” from the corner, but stopped himself. The finish saw Kip hit his lifting reverse DDT on Devine for the win. After the match, BG James got on the mic and addressed Vince McMahon, Triple H and Shawn Michaels. He told all three that the ground game will be starting this Thursday night.
– At ringside, Mike Tenay & Don West cover the Genesis card tonight.
– We then see Kazarian and Bentley dragging Devine back down the ramp. Devine’s head is covered. They throw him in the ring, uncover his face and Raven comes out. Raven is wearing white clothes and a leather piece of clothing around the bottom of his face. Raven then takes a singapore cane and beats Devine over the back with it a few times. They show a shot of Devine’s back that is full of welts.
– Backstage, Jeremy Borash is with Shane Douglas and The Naturals. Douglas talks about Team 3D being beaten at their own game in a Tables Match on iMPACT! this past week. He mentions a rumor that Team 3D are in Japan because that is the only place the fans still care about them. They show the table The Naturals put Team 3D through. Douglas says since 3D isn’t here tonight, The Naturals will instead face Sonjay Dutt and Jay Lethal.
– The Naturals defeated Sonjay Dutt & Jay Lethal. Lots of double-teaming early on by Dutt and Lethal on The Naturals. Fans were really into this match and were hot for all the tags. Dutt did some amazing offense by himself on both Chase Stevens and Andy Douglas at one point in the match. The finish saw Dutt up on the corner and Stevens put him on his shoulders, allowing Douglas to jump off the top rope and hit a dropkick to send Dutt back down. Only problem was Douglas caught more of Stevens on the dropkick than anything. Despite the botched finish, it was a solid match. Fans showed no sympathy for the finish though.
– Backstage, Jeremy Borash is with LAX. Konnan runs down American and promises to burn the American flag tonight after they defeat America’s Most Wanted. Borash mentions that Jim Cornette is here tonight to prevent any such action. Konnan says “screw Jim Cornette” and that they don’t take orders from any “white boy.”
– A video package runs highlighting the X Division Title Match tonight between champion Christopher Daniels and challenger Chris Sabin.
– Backstage, Jeremy Borash is with X Division Champion Christopher Daniels. He mentions he is still friends with AJ Styles, but his career and championship comes first. Daniels says Chris Sabin’s new attitude will get him no where in the X Division. He says he beat the X Division with AJ Styles and that tonight, he will show him why he was the longest reigning X Division Champion in TNA history.
– Christopher Daniels defeated Chris Sabin to retain the X Division Title. Sabin really played up the heel role early on this match, bailing a few times when Daniels would take advantage. At one point, Sabin played up he was going to leap over the top rope to take out Daniels, but stopped, went through the ropes and hit Daniels with a sledgehammer. Sabin then threw a steel chair in the ring and told Tenay and West to shut their mouths. AJ Styles came out and removed the steel chair from the ring. Another big spot with Daniels dodging an attack from Sabin in the tree of woe, sitting up and then leaping off the top rope to take out Sabin. The finish saw Sabin take out Daniels with a big dropkick to the face and then attempt his flipping facebuster from his shoulder, but Daniels countered into a pinfall on Sabin to retain the title. After the match, Sabin tried to attack Daniels with the steel chair, but Jerry Lynn ran out and took the chair away from Sabin. Lynn then throws down TNA employee badge and gets in Sabin’s face. Lynn tells Sabin to shake Daniels’ hand. Sabin reluctantly does it, Daniels raises Sabin’s hand, but Sabin grabs Daniles and hits the Cradle Shock quickly. Lynn hits the ring, but Sabin takes off.
– A new Paparazzi Productions airs. Kevin Nash says Austin Starr and Alex Shelley need to win badly tonight. Nash asks for 90% from both. Starr asks Shelley for his $100. Shelley said the check is in the mail. All three throw out some “classic” names they could be like. Shelley even threw out Hector Garza’s name. They put their hands in a circle and move them up and down.
– Ron “The Truth” Killings & Lance Hoyt defeated Austin Starr & Alex Shelley. Kevin Nash had an arm sling on and claimed he got the injury defending his own X Division Title in Japan two nights ago. Lots of work on Hoyt’s leg mid-way through the match by Starr and Shelley. The finish saw Shelley hit a big frog splash on Hoyt in the ring. Shelley then asked Starr to bring the camera closer to the ring. When Shelley does, he turns it around to face him. In the ring, Hoyt rolls up Shelley to get the pinfall. After the match, Kevin Nash leaves the announcers table and yells at Starr and Shelley.
– A promo hyping Christian Cage vs. AJ Styles airs.
– Backstage, Jeremy Borash is with Christian Cage. Borash asks him if he made a mistake of overlooking AJ Styles due to his obsession with the NWA World Title. Cage says he is undefeated in TNA and says he overlooks no man. He mentions Styles isn’t overlooking him since he jumped him during the pre-show. Cage says he takes care of his problems face-to-face. Borash rolls his eyes and Cage tells him to never do that again. Cage says Styles will be the next on his victim list. He adds that whoever wins tonight in the NWA World Title Match, Sting or Abyss, he will be waiting for the winner.
– Christian Cage defeated AJ Styles. Lots of quick offense by Cage on Styles, with Cage being very cocky on his successful attempt. Styles came right back with some quick offense, which resulted in Cage having a surprised look on his face. Cage tried to bring a steel chair into play, but the referee prevented it. One big spot saw Styles take out Cage on the outside with a big leap over the top rope. When Styles came down on Cage, he caught his ankle on the guard railing. Mike Tenay & Don West played up Styles’ ankle the rest of the match everytime he would try to get offense in on Cage. Another big spot with Styles hitting Cage with a big huricanranna off the top rope. The finish saw Cage try to use a steel chair again. Christopher Daniels ran out and grabbed the steel chair. Both Cage and Daniels had a tug-of-war. Styles went under Cage to try and roll him up. Cage then let go of the chair and Cage dropped down to Styles’ chest, covering him for the pinfall. After the match, Styles and Daniels started to argue. Jay Lethal and Sonjay Dutt hit the ring to try and break it up. Rhino came out and told everyone to leave but Styles and Daniels. Rhino said he knows what they are going through with Christian Cage. He tells both of them to put it in the past and shake hands. Styles grabs the mic and calls Rhino “Dr. Phil” and refuses to shake Daniels’ hand.
– Backstage, Jeremy Borash is with America’s Most Wanted and Gail Kim. Chris Harris puts over the toughness of Gail Kim and the Border Toss she took from LAX. He talks about LAX trying to burn the American flag and adds that although they may not have been liked lately, they will not sit around and allow that to happen. James Storm said the only thing LAX is good at is swimming and dry walling and adds that they should hurry up and finish his garage.
– A video package airs highlighting the feud between LAX and America’s Most Wanted, including the Border Toss that Gail Kim took from Hernandez.
– LAX defeated America’s Most Wanted to retain the NWA World Tag Team Titles. Konnan said TNA management and Jim Cornette could not stop them from burning the American flag tonight because they were protected by the 1st Amendment. Fans were really behind AMW during the match with lots of “USA” chants. Lots of fast back and forth action between both teams. Hernandez attempted the Border Toss on Storm, but Harris hooked Storm’s leg from the ring apron and pulled him down. Storm got Homicide ready for the Death Sentence, but Hernandez cut Harris off on the top rope and threw him off the top with huge force! Hernandez then took out Storm with a huge powerbomb that Homicide followed up with a big body splash from the top rope. AMW fought back with a Heart Attack on Homicide. AMW then hit the Death Sentence on Hernandez, but Konnan jumped up to the ring apron to distract the referee. The finish then saw Homicide get the blow torch and smack Storm with it on the head. Hernandez then covered Storm to get the pinfall and retain the tag team titles for LAX. After the match, Homicide looked to hit the Gringo Killer on Gail Kim. Petey Williams then ran out and attacked LAX to break it up.
Jim Cornette then came out and said this “gringo white boy has something to stay to all of you.” Cornette tells LAX they are all guilty of bad taste. He said he doesn’t know if they are really that bitter about racism in the U.S. or if it is just some huge publicity stunt. Cornette said TNA management and the fans didn’t like hearing they wanted to burn the American flag. He said others who didn’t like to hear that is the veterans of the U.S. and the soldiers who defend our right to do what we want. Cornette said TNA has found that LAX is no longer fit to represent the NWA World Tag Team Titles and that they are now stripped of the titles. He said they had until Thursday to hand him those belts. The fans didn’t like this decision at all and were chanting “BULLSH*T” loudly in the background as Cornette tried to talk over them. AMW put Petey Williams up on their shoulders to celebrate with the American flag.
– Backstage, James Mitchell was with Abyss. Mitchell talked about Sting and how it was fitting that while he was on top in wrestling so many years ago, it was the things he despises now that he was guilty of doing.
– A promo airs highlighting Sting vs. Abyss for the NWA World Title tonight.
– Abyss defeated Sting via DQ to become the NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Sting wasted no time and went after Abyss right away leaving Borash unable to do the normal ring introducions for World Title matches. Sting took out Abyss with his bat, sending Abyss over the top rope. The two brawled into the crowd. Abyss eventually came back with a steel chair. Abyss then put two tables together near the ramp and put two boards covered with barbed wire on top of each table. Both men brawled back into the ring with the referee stopping Abyss from putting Sting through the tables covered with barbed wire. In the ring, Sting took out Abyss with a big body splash from the top rope. Mitchell handed Abyss the NWA World Title. Abyss tried to use it on Sting, but Sting dodged it. Sting then applied the Scorpion Deathlock on Abyss, but Abyss got the ropes. Abyss then came back with a huge Black Hole Slam on Sting, covered, but Sting kicked out. Abyss got his bag of thumbtacks and Sting got his bat. Sting hit the bag away from Abyss and took Abyss out with his bat, covered, but Mitchell pulled the referee out. Sting then took the thumbtacks and put them on the ring. Sting tried to put Abyss on the tacks, but Abyss countered and gave Sting a chokeslam on the tacks! The fans went crazy in Orlando. Abyss covered Sting, but Sting found a way to power out! Sting stood up and pumped himself up. Sting then put Abyss in the Scorpion Deathlock, Abyss tapped, but Mitchell distrated the referee once again. Sting then grabbed Mitchell and put him in the Deathlock. The action spilled to the outside of the ring and Sting motioned for the repel rope. Sting hung Abyss upside down and started hitting him with the steel chair. Sting then dragged Abyss up the ramp. Sting tried putting Abyss through the tables covered in barbed wire. The referee tried to stop Sting two times. Sting then knocked out the referee and sent Abyss through the tables. The referee then called for the bell. Sting was confused and walked down the ramp. The referee went up to David Penzer and announced his decision. Penzer announced that Sting was disqualified as a result of his actions, therefore Abyss was the NEW NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Mike Tenay mentioned how titles could change hands on a DQ finish in TNA.
– A promo hyping Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe airs.
Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe. As soon as they look up, fans chanted “this is awesome.” The crowd is hot for this one. Joe slammed Angle into the guard rail from the ring. Samoa Joe does a suicide dive onto Angle on the outside. He takes Angle around the ring and slams him into the steel ring steps. As Angle re-enters the ring, his is bleeding from his head. Joe greets him with a head butt, and tries to open his cut more. Joe has the upper hand, as blood continues to drip from Angle’s head. Angle’s blood flow reminds me of Steve Austin bleeding during his famed match with Bret Hart. Angle hits Samoa Joe with two german suplexes, but couldn’t get him up for a third. Muscle buster by Joe at 9:30, but Angle kicked out! Fans chant this is awesome. Angle hits an Olympic slam, but Joe kicks out. Fans chanted “make him tap” at Angle. Angle slapped on the Angle lock, but Joe reverses it into a choke. Angle gets up, and hits another Olympic slam, followed by another ankle lock as Joe taps out at 13:33. The winning streak is over for Joe. After the match, Joe grabbed a mic. Fans chanted “you tapped out.” Joe said tapped because he realized Angle was the better man. Joe asks for a rematch. Fans chanted “one more match,” but Angle refused to shake Joe’s hand and walks away.
Joe then says they’ll have to do it the hard way. Fans chanted “Joe, Joe” as he walked away.
For more great exclusive TNA coverage like what you just read above including a major rumor that Rey Mysterio may be headed to TNA when his WWE contract expires in several months, visit TNAWrestlingNews.com
Have a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report?