For the first time, The Lapsed Fan rumbles. This week it’s the 1991 WWF Royal Rumble, a show with sentimental and historic value for your co-chairmen.
The extravaganza from Miami set the controversial table for the Hulk Hogan v. Sgt. Slaughter showdown amid Dessert Storm hostilities, as Slaughter ends the Ultimate Warrior’s title reign in a shocker and Hogan survives 29 other superstars to wave Old Glory.
Join hosts Jack Encarnacao and JP Sarro as they muse on:
– The referee who refused to allow Rick Martel to use the “but I went under the top rope” loophole, actually threatening a 10-count during the Rumble match
– The subtlety of the WWF’s leveraging of the Persian Gulf conflict for heat, including having Warrior tear the Iraqi flag to shreds and attempt to eat it
– Sherri comes on to Warrior as he radiates discomfort
– One of the best PPV openers in WWF history, including a spot involving a karate belt that should be celebrated for generations
– Mr. Fuji is compared to the Michelangelo, the painter
– Those fantastic cartoon posters for Rumble 91, 92, and 01, with all participants portrayed as a marauding street gang
– The Mountie’s passive aggression and apprehension training
And so much more. Get Lapsed across the face, 91 Rumble style, by downloading the latest Lapsed Fan wrestling podcast here.
You can listen to the show in the video player below, or alternatively you can download it by clicking here. (Right Click/Save As)
To check out past episodes of The Lapsed Fan, be sure to click here!
You can subscribe to the Lapsed Fan RSS feed at http://www.sherdogvideos.com/lapsed/lapsed_podcast.rss