Event: WWE Royal Rumble Pay-Per-View
– The WWE promo hits.
– A video package airs highlighting tonight’s Royal Rumble coming to us live from the famous Madison Square Garden. We see footage from the history of the Rumble and its connection to WrestleMania every year.
– A graphic opening then hits welcoming us to the 21st annual Royal Rumble. We go live to Madison Square Garden where a series of pyro goes off. Michael Cole welcomes us to the show as we begin the road to WrestleMania.
– Ric Flair is out first to kick off the show.
– Ric Flair is out first to kick off the show. Flair gets on the mic and said it is great to be back at MSG. He added that his first match at MSG was in March of 1976. Flair thanks the fans for the respect they have shown him, but MVP’s music hits to cut him off.
– Ric Flair defeated WWE U.S. Champion MVP in a Non-Title Match. MVP got in a quick shoulder takedown on Flair and then posed to the boo’s of the fans in MSG. MVP continues to showboat with Flair, shoving him into the corner and gloating to the crowd. Flair fires back with some chops in the opposite corner. MVP takes out Flair with a quick boot to the head followed by a quick neckbreaker. MVP starts working on the neck of Flair and then gets in a few rights in the corner. Flair then chop blocks MVP from behind and attempts the Figure Four, but MVP fights out. Another Figure Four attempt, MVP counters into a small package and Flair kicks out. MVP with a high back body drop on Flair followed by a running Samoa Joe-like boot to the face in the corner. MVP quickly covers Flair, the referee counts to three, but Flair got his boot on the bottom rope. Flair with a quick rollup on MVP, but MVP kicks out. MVP with a big superplex off the top rope on Flair. Both collide when attempting a clothesline later on. Flair attempts to big pin attempts, but MVP continues to kick out. MVP goes for The Playmaker, but Flair counters and locks on the Figure Four. MVP taps out and Flair’s career is still alive.
After the match, Ric Flair celebrates his win with the fans in MSG as we see a shot of MVP taking off after the referee complaining about the finish of the match. We see a replay of how the finish of the match went down. Back live, Flair lets out a couple "WOOOOOOOO’s" as he celebrates his win heading to the back.
– Backstage, Vince McMahon is with Hornswoggle. He talks about his father’s history in MSG and then moves on to his only bastard son. Vince said Hornswoggle can’t trust anyone tonight in the Royal Rumble, including Finlay. Finlay then walks in and Vince brings up what they were just talking about. He adds that Hornswoggle could turn on Finlay later tonight if given the opportunity.
– Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler talk about the press the company has been getting in New York City this week heading into the Rumble.
– Mike Adamle is at ringside and congratulates Ric Flair on his win tonight, mentioning that he was actually at MSG in 1976 for his first match in the famous arena. Adamle then introduces a video package looking at tonight’s match between JBL and Chris Jericho.
– JBL defeated Chris Jericho via DQ. Both men stared each other down and then locked up quickly. They continue to lock up and JBL finds a way to break it up each time. JBL finally gets in a cheap shot on Jericho and follows that up with a few rights. Jericho came back with a takedown of his own along with a few right hands. JBL dumped Jericho to the outside, but Jericho rolled right back in and kicked JBL right in the gut. Jericho ducks a Clothesline From Hell attempt and locks in the Walls of Jericho, but JBL gets to the bottom rope. JBL tries to regain some composure on the outside, but Jericho takes him out with a baseball slide. Jericho backs JBL back-first into the ring and then slams him into the steel steps. Jericho exposed the top of the guard railing, but never used it. In the ring, JBL lifts Jericho high in the air and drops him neck first off the top rope. JBL then takes out Jericho with two quick clotheslines followed by choking Jericho on the bottom rope. JBL then catapults Jericho into the second rope laying over the bottom rope. JBL locks in a sleeper on Jericho to slow the action. Jericho then breaks out of the sleeper and takes JBL off his feet with a big clothesline. When both get to their feet, JBL takes out Jericho with a big boot to the face. JBL then launches Jericho shoulder first into the steel ring post. We then see a shot of Jericho, who is busted open over his forehead. JBL starts kicking Jericho in the face and follows those up with a few rights. JBL throws a bloody Jericho back into the ring and works on him in the corner with punches and kicks. Jericho with a comeback involving elbows and a botched bulldog attempt. Jericho gets the fans back with a Lionsault off the ropes. Jericho clotheslines JBL over the top rope. On the outside, JBL nails Jericho’s bloody face off the ECW announce table. We see JBL removing the top of the ECW announce table, but then out of no where Jericho cracks a steel chair over JBL’s head and the referee calls for the bell.
After the match, JBL rolls into the ring holding his head and Jericho throws the steel chair at his face. Jericho then grabs what looks to be a rope and ties it around the neck of JBL and pulls back on it standing on top of the ECW announce table! The fans in MSG cheer as Jericho continues to pull back. More WWE referees come to the area to break it up and Jericho tries to choke out JBL some more. A bloody Jericho is shown walking to the back staring down JBL who is rolling around in pain. We see a few replays of what went down as Lilian Garcia announces JBL as the winner via DQ to a chorus of boos’.
– Backstage, Ashley Massaro knocks on the door of Maria’s dressing room. Santino answers and said she can’t talk right now. He said Maria isn’t interested in Ashley’s "boobie" magazine and goes back in.
– A graphic hits noting we are just 63 days away until WrestleMania 24.
– A video package airs highlighting the events heading into tonight’s World Heavyweight Title Match tonight between champion Edge and challenger Rey Mysterio.
– Edge defeated Rey Mysterio to retain the World Heavyweight Championship. Both locked up right away and Edge pushed Mysterio into the corner. Edge works on the arm of Mysterio, but Mysterio comes back with a few kicks to the leg followed by a springboard head scissors takedown on Edge which the fans boo. A loud "LETS GO EDGE" chant starts up. Michael Cole acknowledges the fans being behind Edge tonight. Edge goes back to work on Mysterio with a few kicks and punches. Mysterio slides under Edge, but Edge launches Mysterio back out and then connects with a baseball slide. The Edgeheads go after Mysterio, but the referee sees this and sends them to the back. Mysterio with a 619 attempt, but Edge dodges it. Mysterio comes back with a big dive on Edge over the top rope. Mysterio with a West Coast Pop on Edge, but Edge kicks out. Edge launches Mysterio in the air, but Mysterio catches himself landing on the ropes in the corner. However, Edge kicks Mysterio in the knee and Mysterio falls back quickly and rolls to the outside holding his knee. Edge rolls Mysterio back in the ring and works on his knee. Edge applies a one leg boston crab. Mysterio fights back kicking Edge on the back of the head. Edge falls on the second rope, Mysterio goes for the 619, but Edge counters into a powerslam that gets him a close two count. Edge goes back to work on Mysterio’s knee. Mysterio kicks Edge in the face to break the hold. Edge throws Mysterio to the ground and tries to take off his knee brace, but Mysterio comes back with a huge bulldog. Mysterio kicks Edge in the heading after rolling through, covers, but only gets a two count. Mysterio on the top rope, punches Edge off, drops his feet over the body of Edge, covers, but only gets a two count. Edge gets launched to the outside. When Edge stands up, Mysterio slides on his chest under the bottom rope, grabs Edge and connects with a DDT in a very impressive spot. Back in the ring, Edge catches Mysterio with a big boot. Edge misses a Spear, Mysterio gets Edge down and connects with the 619. Mysterio connects with a huge diving splash off the top rope, covers…1…2…Vickie Guerrero pulls the referee out. Edge misses another Spear, drops to the ropes, Vickie jumps up on the ring apron grabbing Edge and Mysterio connects with a 619 to the back of her head. Vickie falls down and Mysterio stares down at her. Mysterio then attempts the West Coast Pop, but Edge catches him in mid-air with a Spear, covers and gets the pinfall to retain the World Heavyweight Championship.
After the match, Edge attends to Vickie Guerrero who is on the ground by the ring grabbing her neck in pain. The Edgeheads return to the ringside area to attend to her as well. We see a replay of how all the events went down. Back live, Edge and The Edgeheads put Vickie in her wheelchair and take her to the back.
– Backstage, we see Ric Flair leaving the showers as Mr. Kennedy appears clapping for him. Flair has a big smile on his face. Kennedy lets out a "WOOOOOO" and Flair thanks him. He said after he wins the Royal Rumble tonight, he would love nothing more than to…and Shawn Michaels shows up. HBK tells him not to stop and to continue. Kennedy decides not to continue and walks away. Flair tells HBK he can get the job done tonight in the Rumble. Batista and Triple H show up. Triple H tells Flair to put some pants on. HBK said the very best man will win tonight and he will be wearing the brand new HBK t-shirt.
– Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler note that the next time WWE is on PPV will be for No Way Out on February 17 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
– We see a split-screen shot of Randy Orton and Jeff Hardy warming up.
– Maria comes out to the ring and does the Royal Rumble Kiss Cam. After it concludes, Ashley Massaro comes out and tells Maria she got a call from Hugh Hefner to be in Playboy. She asks her what she thinks when Santino’s music hits. He yells "STOP IT!" and comes to the ring along with someone covered in a black cape. Santino says no one wants to see Maria with no clothes on. The fans cheer. He said they have nothing to cheer for in New York. A "LETS GO GIANTS" chant starts up and Santino says they will choke in the Super Bowl. Ashley says Maria has to make this decision, not Santino. Maria asks the fans and they cheer. Santino calls the fans sheep and said if you asked them if they wanted hepatitis, they would cheer. He then says it is time to go because he has to prepare for the Royal Rumble. Santino then asks his guest covered in a black cape to come in the ring. He said since they like "the boobies" in New York, he got them a present. Santino takes the black cover off and it is the Big Fat Oily Guy with a big Patriots logo on his belly. Ashley kicks him out of the ring to end the segment.
– A promo airs for WrestleMania 24 with Kelly Kelly as a lifeguard.
– A video package airs highlighting the events heading into tonight’s WWE Title Match tonight between champion Randy Orton and challenger Jeff Hardy.
– They did ring introductions for both Randy Orton and Jeff Hardy. Hardy got a big reaction from the crowd in MSG, while Orton is well over as the heel. Big "HARDY" chant started up during a stare down between the two.
– Randy Orton defeated WWE Intercontinental Champion Jeff Hardy to retain the WWE Championship. Both lock up and they move around the ropes and corners. Hardy shoves Orton away, they lock up and Hardy gets in a quick takedown. Hardy with an atomic drop and drops his legs across the mid-section of Orton. Hardy sends Orton to the outside and then takes him out with a dropkick through the ropes and launches Orton back-first into the guard railing! When Orton gets back to his feet, Hardy launches himself over the top rope and takes out Orton. JR reminds the viewers that Hardy better get Orton back in the ring because the title cannot change on a count out. The two brawl on the outside and Orton throws Hardy back in the ring. Hardy attempts to springboard over the top rope, but Orton catches him with a huge dropkick in mid-air that sends Hardy crashing to the floor! Orton with a suplex on Hardy on the outside and then throws Hardy back in the ring. Orton then starts choking Hardy and the referee gets involved to break it up. Hardy fights back sending Orton over the top rope. Hardy leaps off the ring apron and takes out Orton when Orton got to his feet. Hardy plants Orton in the corner, backs up, charges, but Orton moves and sends Hardy shoulder first into the steel ring post. Orton then applies a full-body submission on Hardy while locking on a sleeper. Hardy breaks out, but Orton catches him with a quick powerslam. Hardy takes down Orton with a quick modified neckbreaker. Hardy with three takedowns on Orton, charge in the corner and a Whisper in the Wind from the corner. Hardy sends Orton down to the corner and connects with his sharp dropkick to the gut. Hardy goes up top, but Orton rolls away to the ring apron. When Orton stands up, Hardy catches him with a dropkick and Orton falls to the floor. Hardy gets up on the opposite corner and connects with a moonsault taking out Orton on the outside! Both return to the ring. Hardy is ready to finish it. Hardy kicks Orton in the gut, attempts the Twist of Fate, but Orton counters quickly and connects with the RKO out of no where! Orton covers Hardy and gets the pinfall to retain the WWE Title.
After the match, Randy Orton grabs the WWE Title and starts to head to the back looking at Jeff Hardy in the ring who is still recovering from the RKO. Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler talk about how the RKO came out of no where. Orton holds up the WWE Title as Hardy stares him down looking up from the ring. Hardy slowly gets to his feet and the fans in MSG cheer showing respect.
– At ringside, Joey Styles and Tazz talk about how we are just moments away from the 30 Man Royal Rumble. They introduce a video package that looks at the history of the Royal Rumble.
– Michael Buffer does the introductions for the Rumble match.
– All 6 announcers are working the match.
Royal Rumble match. Hornswoggle is hiding under the ring. Undertaker leg dropped Snitsky on the announce table after being eliminated. Hornswoggle comes out from under the ring and pulls out The Miz. Big Daddy V pulls Hornswoggle into the ring. Finlay runs out and saves him. Finlay and Hornswoggle went to the back but were never eliminated.
Order of entry: (1) Undertaker, (2) HBK, (3) Santino Marella, (4) Great Khali, (5) Hardcore Holly, (6) John Morrison, (7) Tommy Dreamer, (8) Batista, (9) Hornswoggle, (10) Chuck Palumbo, (11) Jamie Noble, (12) CM Punk, (13) Cody Rhodes, (14) Umaga, (15) Snitsky, (16) The Miz, (17) Shelton Benjamin, (18) Jimmy Snuka, (19) Roddy Piper, (20) Kane, (21) Carlito, (22) Mick Foley, (23) Mr. Kennedy, (24) Big Daddy V, (25) Mark Henry, (26) Chavo Guerrero, (27) Finlay, (28) Elijah Burke, (29) Triple H, and (30) John Cena.
Order of elimination: (1) Santino Marella, (2) Great Khali, (3) Tommy Dreamer, (4) Jamie Noble, (5) Chuck Palumbo, (6) Hardcore Holly, (7) Shelton Benjamin, (8) Roddy Piper, (9) Jimmy Snuka, (10) Snitsky, (11) Undertaker, (12) HBK, (13) The Miz, (14) John Morrison, (15) CM Punk, (16) Cody Rhodes, (17) Big Daddy V, (18) Mick Foley, (19) Elijah Burke, (20) Carlito, (21) Chavo Guerrero (22) Mark Henry, (23) Mr. Kennedy, (24) Umaga, (25) Kane, (26) Batista, (27) Triple H.
YOUR WINNER: JOHN CENA
CENA CELEBRATES AS THE SHOW GOES OFF THE AIR. JOHN CENA IS GOING TO WRESTLEMANIA!!! PYRO EXPLODES, THAT’S IT!
Have a news tip?Attended an event and want to send a live report?