Results Courtesy of PWInsider.com:
I attended the show tonight at "Coliseo de Puerto Rico" in San Juan, PR. Overall an average show, although the crowd being fairly hot all night made for a fun event. Also, there were at least 2 really good matches, 3 ok matches and the other 2, well; they were part of the show. Let’s get into the quick match rundown and some comments about the show.
1. Evan Bourne & John Morrison defeated The Miz & R-Truth – I missed part of the opener but was able to catch about 1/2 of the match and with what I saw, I would've liked to have seen it from the beginning. This was very fast paced with a few nice spots spread throughout the match. I could hear the crowd roaring while I was on my way to our seats. After the match R-Truth and Miz attacked Bourne with Morrison making the save and running them off. As Bourne and Morrison were making their way back, out came Mason Ryan running out of the dressing room and attacked them in the aisle.
2. Zack Ryder defeated Mason Ryan – Mason Ryan went in the ring and challenged Ryder to come and face him. Ryder came out to a nice pop as his music played. After that, the crowd went into idle mode for the match. This was one of the matches that was just there. Nice to see Ryder pick up the win here.
3. Jack Swagger defeated Percy Watson – When the match was announced I was not too excited about it. However, after they got going, they actually had a really good back and forth match that saw Swagger win via submission with the ankle lock.
4. WWE Championship Match – Alberto Del Rio defeated CM Punk – Ricardo Rodriguez came out to the ring and as soon as he got on the mic he started getting heat. Alberto Del Rio made his way to the ring, thus making his comeback to US territory after spending a little over a week in Mexico trying to get his work visa renewed. The guitar riff from Cult of Personality hit and the crowd went nuts. Punk seemed to soak in the moment as he made his way to the ring. This was by far the best match of the night. Crowd was hot all throughout and definitely made it even better. These two guys can put a really good match if given the appropriate time. They had about 15 minutes for this one and it was very entertaining.
Out came Eve Torres and announced a contest where 4 fans would have the opportunity to win a pass backstage to meet the favorite superstar. She was interrupted by Beth Phoenix who started to threaten Eve until out came Kelly Kelly to stop the bully Phoenix. Yes, Kelly made the save even before Beth put her hands on Eve. Oh well….
5. Kelly Kelly retained her Divas Championship by defeating Beth Phoenix.
After the match Kelly and Eve did the contest and they had a tie for 1st place, which meant that both kids (girl and boy) were winners and they went to the back to meet their favorite superstar.
6. US Championship Triple Threat Match – Dolph Ziggler retained after defeating Alex Riley and Primo Colon. In my opinion the 2 best match of the night. Crowd was hot for this one. Primo, even being at home, did not receive a big reaction from the crowd when he first came out. However, after the match got started the people were 100% behind him. Each of the participants hit their finisher at different points during the match, only to have the third opponent break the pin. After about 13 minutes Primo was able to mount a comeback against Ziggler. He got the crowd to their feet when he started to get Ziggler's leg ready to put on his father's finishing hold, the figure 4 leg lock. He was able to put it on for a few minutes until Riley came back in to break it. Then Primo hit the "back-stabber" on Riley but was not able to pin him because Ziggler threw him out of the ring and pinned Riley for the win. After the match, Ziggler was mocking Primo and taunting the crowd, only to have Primo hit the "back-stabber" on him too and leave the crowd happy going into the main event.
7. John Cena defeated Alberto Del Rio via DQ after interference from Ricardo Rodriguez, when came in the ring to hit Cena with a chair right in front of the referee. After the bell sounded and Del Rio was disqualified they started to attack Cena again and out came Punk to make the save. Punk hit the GTS on Rodriguez and Cena hit the AA on Del Rio and everyone went home happy.
Last year’s show I wrote that the coliseum was about 90% full then. Tonight there were a lot more seats available in the upper bowls (3rd and 4th floor). The lower bowl was full, as well as ringside. I had never seen a WWE in PR that did not draw a sellout, or very close to it. That is until tonight. Having said that, tonight’s crowd was hot from the beginning to the end, which helped make it a fun show.
Evan Bourne & John Morrison
Alberto Del Rio
No return dates announced, but I would not be surprised if they tried to bring SmackDown sometime in the next 6 months. The show has a stronger audience here in Puerto Rico than RAW. I did hear a lot of people in my area commenting that we are ready to host a televised event; no matter if it is a RAW or SmackDown taping or a PPV. I am all for that.
Until next time….
Alberto del RioCM Punkevan bourneJack SwaggerJohn Cenajohn morrisonmason ryanr-truthWWEwwe house showWWE RawZack RyderHave a news tip?Attended an event and want to send a live report?