Page 1 of 2
Thanks to Shurskey Yo for sending this in:
I just got back home from vacation, and saw some behind the scenes happenings from the second set of NXT tapings at Full Sail University. I provided some tidbits that I felt were missed by the straight up results of the show.
1) The camaraderie of the guys that were there was amazing. I've heard the stories of the developmental wrestlers putting together the ring and taking it apart at the end of the night. Tonight I saw it, at least the later part. Everyone there did their part and no one asked questions. I saw no Sheamus, Del Rio or Truth, but obviously they are past the initiation phase of the business. Everyone else, even those close to the main roster (Ambrose, Kidd, Mahal, Rollins) were equal to the others in the process. All "minor leaguers" were equal. I liked that.
2) Trips no sold his arm backstage. Not really news, but I'm sure nerd will make it a big deal.
3) Every talent I saw was beyond respectful to the Full Sail staff. They were very grateful for their work. It's nice to see the youngins' not have huge egos.
- The crowd was the most mark crowd I've been a part of, free tickets to University staff and students will do that. I try to consider myself a mark, but I've been watching for 25 years and you pick up on some things. I will reference the crowd multiple times as they were different than most.
- Xavier Woods over Dean Ambrose shocked the smarks in the front row, and shocked me too. They had some good "Foley Sucks" chants going. Otherwise the live crowd liked Woods. Fun match, but other than the surprise finish it was basic.
- The Assention is being booked in a Taker manner, unstoppable and scary to kids. The arena goes dark for their entrance and O'Brien's robe is probably a Lord of Darkness robe. Saw three kids in my section cry, it was the first time they saw wrestling. Assention is also awesome as a tag team. They do a spot where one of them stomps an opponent into their corner and then tag the other. They repeat this for 6 or so tags. This got over well with the live crowd and they used it in both matches. I found it simple and original. I had never seen that before.