WWE Raw live event
Report by Doug Simmons and ProWrestling.net
The arena was close to half full. All floor seats were sold. The rest of the arena was scattered. Judging by arena capacity, attendance seemed to be in the 3,500-4,000 range.
1. Tyson Kidd over Tensai. Tensai received decent heel heat. Kidd got in some decent offense throughout the match. Kidd went over with a quick roll up.
2. Big E Langston defeated Jack Swagger. Swagger worked hard to get heat to help get Langston over. Even that being said, Langston only was lukewarm with the live crowd. Very basic match. Nothing special from Langston, who went over in about 10 minutes with his finisher. Mostly power moves from Langston. Swagger worked his ass off for the big man.
After the match, Wade Barrett attacked Langston on his way up the entrance ramp. Barrett proceeded to the ring and cut a promo letting the crowd know he is back with greater intensity. He than gave the live audience the option of choosing the stipulation for his match later that evening. A Rockford Street Fight or a best of three falls contest.
3. Layla over Aksana via pinfall to retain the WWE Divas Championship. Good work and comedy throughout the match. Aksana played to the crowd with her “mistress” gimmick and put herself over very well with those in attendance. Her entrance music does fit her character, but it’s still terrible. Layla had a decent reaction from the crowd during the match.
4. Alex Riley over David Otunga via pinfall. The match was about 12 minutes too long. There were boring chants during most of the match. Otunga had a long, Chris Masters-like posing session in the middle of the ring with only the ring lights on. If the match would have ended there it would’ve been great.
The arena video screen showed a pre-recorded segment with The Prime Time Players bashing the local town and boasting of their greatness.
5. R-Truth and Kofi Kingston over The Prime Time Players to retain the WWE Tag Titles. Truth and Kofi won by each hitting their respective finishers on their opponents. This came after the match was restarted by Raw general manager A.J. Lee. The crowd fell for the Dusty Finish when it appeared that the PTP won the contest, but Titus O’Neil had his foot on the ropes for leverage. Some good comedy spots with Young using his pick to comb out Lil’ Jimmy’s hair, then back handing him, which set off R-Truth, who proceeded to begin the match by beating down Young.
6. Wade Barrett over Curt Hawkins in a Rockford Street Fight. Yes, curt Hawkins. Kendo sticks and chairs were used. Barrett put Hawkins through a table that was set up in the corner with a power bomb for the victory.
7. Antonio Cesaro beat Zack Ryder to retain the U.S. Title. One of the better matches of the evening. Very good in-ring work by both guys. Cesaro got the three count with his finisher.
8. C.M. Punk defeated John Cena and Big Show in a Triple Threat match to retain the WWE Championship. Cena received the biggest baby pop from this crowd despite Punk’s home being just a few miles away. Punk used his title belt as a weapon for the victory. Nice work from all three. The crowd was hot for all ten minutes of this bout.
Have a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report?