Drew McIntyre interviewed with Chris Jericho on his "Talk is Jericho" podcast this week. McIntyre talked a lot about his recent WWE release, his time with the company, the details behind the dreaded "phone call", and much more.
Here are some of the highlights:
– WWE owns "Drew McIntyre", so he'll be going by Drew Galloway for now.
– He was definitely surprised, along with Chris Jericho who says Drew's release surprised him more than all the others, when he got let go from WWE. "To say it was a surprise was a very accurate statement," Drew said regarding the release. He added that he had "zero indication" he was going to be let go. Drew mentioned that even the guy from the office who made the official call (Mark Carrano) was surprised.
– Drew said that he's never been much of a "politician" — all he's ever been is confident in his ability, but maybe he should have spoke up more in hindsight.
– Regarding 3MB, Galloway said that they were "dead in the water" before they even began. The day before 3MB was born, Vince wanted to see how Drew would work as a babyface so he put a match together on Superstars between Drew and Jinder Mahal, of all people. Drew said the match went real good and the crowd got behind him, but the next day, Vince decided that Heath Slater, who was doing the One Man Band gimmick at the time, needed a band. Vince looks down his list of stars to choose and he picks Mahal and McIntyre. Drew noted that the biggest problem of all was that he actually had a broken wrist at the time (it happened six months prior, but he didn't tell anyone). He then found out he needed surgery and couldn't be physical for six months, which pretty much killed 3MB from the beginning.
– Drew said that 3MB tried talking with Vince about a lot of different ideas, and he was receptive to them, but nothing ever really came of them primarily because of his injury. By the time he returned, the whole thing was pretty much shot.
– Drew said that he's nervous but he's excited about the future.
You can check out the full interview on PodcastOne.com.
Have a news tip? Attended an event and want to send a live report?