Arda Ocal and Jimmy Korderas interviewed Ken Patera. Highlights:
- Placing ahead of “The Incredible Hulk” Lou Ferrigno at the 1977 World’s Strongest Man Competition, and beating him in a tug-o- war
- Helping break Ric Flair get into wrestling through Verne Gagne’s wrestling camps
- Was it a mistake for him to return to wrestling after his prison sentence?
- Being broke when he entered and when he left the wrestling business
- Would he accept a call to the WWE Hall of Fame?
- How Vince Sr. treated him vs Vince Jr.
EXCERPT: "I got Ric (Flair) into wrestling. Ric and I were sharing a house with a couple other guys in 1972 and he was hounding me to introduce him to Verne Gagne because I was starting at Gagne’s training camp in a few weeks. I finally took him down to the old wrestling office in downtown Minneapolis and introduced him to Verne. He said "I already have enough guys, I can’t handle one more". The other guys were Greg Gagne, Verne’s son, The Iron Sheik, Jumpin Jim Brunzell. Finally we convinced him to include Ric and that’s how it all started."
Both interviews and the latest Right After Wrestling podcast are available on iTunes
RIGHT AFTER WRESTLING Radio
With Arda Ocal and Jimmy Korderas
Mondays, 11:05pm – midnight EST
The Score on SIRIUS Radio 98